Storage Replica: Hyper-V Cluster, no shared storage, 2 nodes

Blogs, webinars, technical expert articles, announcements, ideas, and suggestions

Moderators: art (staff), Oksana (staff), anton (staff), Anatoly (staff), Max (staff)

anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:14 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen,

here's a new step forward with Storage Replica. 2 Node Hyper-V Cluster, no shared storage, HA VM. Like on a diagram here:

So making long story short: everything works even with a Technical Preview version. VM marked as "HA" re-boots on Node2 when Node1 goes down. You may read the whole story and step-by-step "cooking book" here:

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/s ... l-preview/

Thanks to MSFT for a good job done :))

Anton
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

deonha

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi Anton

Thank you for creating the step by step articles. I am having a problem, please can you help. I am trying all of you articles in a lab and have the following setup.
I have 2 Server 2016 Servers that have iSCSI targets SSRV1 and SSRV2. I have 2 Server 2016 Servers as HyperV Node Servers in a cluster HSRV1 and HSRV2. I also have a separate Server for the SMB Witness Share.

HSRV1 uses iSCSI to connect to 2 disks (Data and Log) on SSRV1 and HSRV2 uses iSCSI to connect to 2 disks (Data and Log) on SSRV2. When I try setup Storage Replication there are no disks suitable. I see the error "not in a different site" when viewing the disks.

Does HSRV2 and SSRV2 need to be in a different AD site/Subnet?

Thank you
Deon
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:54 pm

First make sure you're using the most recent version of Windows Server 2016 TP. Current up-to-date one is TP3 while TP4 is expected to be released really soon.

Second please make sure you have connections to iSCSI target available from BOTH nodes of the cluster.

Hope this helped a bit :)
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software