NLA (Network Location Awareness)

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

bpennell

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi guys,

I'm experiencing difficulty with my first install.

I have two servers with 10gig NICs that are connected back to back with patch cables. I don't have a 10gig switch. Windows shows that the interfaces are on "Unidentified Network", and is blocking traffic to and from the ports. How do I do this without purchasing a 10gig switch just to allow the networks to see a DNS server?

Thanks,

Brent
bpennell

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:01 pm

RESOLVED

This issue turned out to be Windows server acting stupid. I was using a Intel 2port 10gig card in each server. Although the servers were identical, Windows detected the ports differently. The first server had the TOP port as the first port on the card, and the second server had the BOTTOM port as the first port on the card. I naturally attached the patch cables top port to top port and bottom port to bottom port, and configured the subnets. All I had to do was swap the cables on one server.

For those of you that DO have issues with NLA, try the following:

This should only be used if the computer will never have any connections on the Public LAN. Otherwise, you run the risk of having a less secure firewall profile applied to your public connection.

Open "Local Security Policy".

Click on "Network List Manager Policies" in the left pane. (This selection is buried in older versions of Windows.)

Double-click on "Unidentified Networks" in the right pane.

For computers that only exist on the private network, it is OK to set "Location type" to "private".
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:07 pm

We LOVE self-supporting customers!:)
Thanks for posting though.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com