Hyper-V iSCSI and CSV issue

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

kmax

Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:59 pm

Have two StarWind nodes..let's call them S1 and S2.
Have two hyper-v hosts that target both of them, call them H1 and H2.

All iSCSI and CSV of course.

So I removed the replica partner for two targets from S2. Then added the replica partner back in (under a different target name) and everything says synced.

When I go to my hyper-v hosts and connect to the new targets via iSCSI it shows the the new target as as an undefined drive even though it should be going to the replicated CSV target.

Thoughts?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:03 am

In general this is "legacy" design and if you run StarWind bare metal you should be doing Scale-Out File Servers and StarWind Virtual SAN serving block back end for SoFS nodes. Same amount of hardware but much more efficient (thanks to lack of a true clustered file system). Per-file locks with SMB3 are better then per-volume locks with iSCSI. However... You right everything should work AS IS so I'll ask techies to take a closer look @ your issue. Thank you for reporting!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:57 am

Well, there shouldn`t be any new drives. Have you enabled support for iSCSI devices in MPIO manager on all the client machines?
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
kmax

Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:12 pm

Anatoly (staff) wrote:Well, there shouldn`t be any new drives. Have you enabled support for iSCSI devices in MPIO manager on all the client machines?
Oh yeah, they are humming along fine with the other five targets and MPIO.

If I use the initiator to connect to the newly created replica...the drive will show up in "disk management" as offline. Obviously I would be insane to bring it online.

As for the SMB 3 remarks, care to explain such a setup?
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:35 am

Oh yeah, they are humming along fine with the other five targets and MPIO.

If I use the initiator to connect to the newly created replica...the drive will show up in "disk management" as offline. Obviously I would be insane to bring it online.
Lets jump on the remote session next week. Drop a quick email to support@starwindsoftware.com (include the reference to this thread) and I`ll schedule the remote session with you.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com