Tape Redirector and Backup Exec Issue

Tape drive and auto-loader redirector over iSCSI

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

khawthorne

Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:15 pm

Hello,

I hope you can help me. I am the free tape redirector 5.8 software to connect an HP LTO-6 Ultrium 6250 Tape Drive to a Windows 2012 R2 hyper-v VM that has Backup Exec 2014 SP1 installed. While the solution worked for the first couple of weeks, the duplicate backup jobs to tape now fail. Sometimes right away, sometimes at the verify stage and sometimes part way through.

I have talked to HP and they have replaced the hardware and I have talked to Symantec and when I finally revealed Backup Exec 2014 was running on a hyper-v VM, they proclaimed Backup Exec had to be run on a physical server. I have run out of options. Would you be able to help me please?

The jobs fail with the message: "An invalid command was sent to the storage device." The tape then has to be erased and relabelled for it to be tried again.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:31 pm

Version 5.8 is million years old... Please upgrade to V8 so we could re-check this issue. Thank you!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

khawthorne

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:46 pm

After upgrading Virtual SAN, I am now receiving a version mismatch. It says to please upgrade the management console, it also seems to have downgraded Tape Redirector to version 5 and the problem still exists. Please advise.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:29 pm

You need to upgrade both service and GUI. V8 GUI is not going to work with V5.xx core component.
khawthorne wrote:After upgrading Virtual SAN, I am now receiving a version mismatch. It says to please upgrade the management console, it also seems to have downgraded Tape Redirector to version 5 and the problem still exists. Please advise.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

khawthorne

Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:31 pm

Thank you for the quick response. Please supply with the link to what I need to download.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:46 pm

1) Uninstall what you have now

2) Reboot

3) Install V8 from here:

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/registr ... irtual-san

4) Enjoy
khawthorne wrote:Thank you for the quick response. Please supply with the link to what I need to download.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

khawthorne

Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Would I lose my settings then? A consultant set this software up initially. I looked at a post called Tape Redirector Questions from Blue407 posted in late July. I did the opposite of what he did and increased my parameter values to what he had initially and I am rerunning the tape duplicate backup job. It has gotten farther than it has in a long time.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:25 pm

Not sure what you mean under "settings" and "parameters".
khawthorne wrote:Would I lose my settings then? A consultant set this software up initially. I looked at a post called Tape Redirector Questions from Blue407 posted in late July. I did the opposite of what he did and increased my parameter values to what he had initially and I am rerunning the tape duplicate backup job. It has gotten farther than it has in a long time.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

khawthorne

Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:30 pm

Would I lose my configuration if I uninstalled the software and reinstalled the new version.

The parameters I increased are under Select server>configuration tab>advanced settings

Max Burst Length, Max Transfer Length etc.. and then made the same adjustments in the registry of the vm. I increased them to 524288 except for First Burst length which I had to leave at 65536.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:34 pm

You need pre-serve them. Technically anything except transfer length is irrelevant to us.
khawthorne wrote:Would I lose my configuration if I uninstalled the software and reinstalled the new version.

The parameters I increased are under Select server>configuration tab>advanced settings

Max Burst Length, Max Transfer Length etc.. and then made the same adjustments in the registry of the vm. I increased them to 524288 except for First Burst length which I had to leave at 65536.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

khawthorne

Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:44 pm

Help. I am moving backward. After uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling. I now get the following error when I try to connect:

Starwind service not found on host: (the hostname of the sever) 127.0.0.1 :33269
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:52 pm

We don't use non-standard iSCSI ports anymore. 3260 is default on and should be working.
khawthorne wrote:Help. I am moving backward. After uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling. I now get the following error when I try to connect:

Starwind service not found on host: (the hostname of the sever) 127.0.0.1 :33269
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

khawthorne

Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:28 pm

Thank you. I will run another tape duplicate job and let you know the result.
khawthorne

Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:59 pm

I am still having the same problem which I outlined at the beginning. My duplicate tape jobs in Backup Exec are failing: "an invalid command was sent to the storage device". Please help.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:21 am

There was an issue with different tape IDs so please capture StarWind debug log and send zipped to support@starwindsoftware.com so we could take a look are you subject to experimental build or not. Thanks!
khawthorne wrote:I am still having the same problem which I outlined at the beginning. My duplicate tape jobs in Backup Exec are failing: "an invalid command was sent to the storage device". Please help.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev