Registering VASA provider in vCenter Server for StarWind Virtual SAN

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

MRose34

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:22 pm

I am using V8 of StarWind Virtual SAN. I have noticed in vCenter Server 6.0 there is no storage provider listed for StarWind. I went to add one, but I can't seem to find any information on how to add this in using Virtual SAN. I have found some docs talking about the VVOL with Virtual SAN preview and I also found a video on youtube that shows it with the StarWind VSAN. Is there a way for me to add this provider without using either of those? what is the URL and Port I would use to make this happen?
Vladislav (Staff)
Staff

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:54 am

Hi Mrose34.

VVOLS integration preview is only available in this StarWind build: https://ovf.starwind.com/tmplink/starwi ... review.zip

Please deploy this template using our OVF deployment guide: https://www.starwindsoftware.com/techni ... -guide.pdf

I hope it will help :)
MRose34

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Is there a way to add a storage provider in vCenter Server without using the VVOL build? When I take a look at the vCenter Server storage provider list it is empty. This tells me that vCenter doesn't recognize StarWind ISCSI as a storage provider. Is there a way to make this happen to complete the build?
darklight

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:30 pm

Do not think so.

In order to use VVOLs, it must be supported by storage vendor (hardware or software, does not matter). So, there is no way you could use it without special VVOLs build of Starwind.
MRose34

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:29 pm

Thanks for the replies but I think something is getting lost in translation somewhere. All major storage systems can be registered inside of vCenter Server so vCenter Server knows how to interact appropriately, with that Storage System. This is done by registering a Storage Provider inside of vCenter Server. (See attached screen shot for more info). "The vendor provider is a software plug-in developed by a third party through the Storage APIs - Storage Awareness. The vendor provider component is typically installed on the storage array side and acts as a server in the vSphere environment. The vCenter Server uses vendor providers to retrieve information about storage topology, capabilities, and status."

Because this is a software based solution, I would assume the storage provider would be installed on the software inside of StarWind ISCSI. I assume they have done this due to them now being listed as a supported platform on vSphere. It doesn't mean they have, I was just hoping they did. Since they have one for the VVol appliance, I was hoping they incorporated it into the StarWind ISCSI.

The reason why this is good is because the storage provider API can pass along the following info to vCenter Server as well as Operations Manager so I can manage the storage appropriately.

■ Storage topology. Information about physical storage elements appears on the Storage Views tab. It includes such data as storage arrays, array IDs, and so on.
This type of information can be helpful when you need to track virtual machine-to-storage relationships and configuration, or to identify any changes in physical storage configuration.
For more information, see the vSphere Monitoring and Performance documentation.

■Storage capabilities. The vendor provider collects and communicates information about physical capabilities and services that underlying storage offers.
This information can be useful when, for example, you need to properly aggregate storage into tiers, or select the right storage, in terms of space and performance, for a particular virtual machine.
The capabilities appear on the list of system-defined storage capabilities. For details, see Understanding Storage Capabilities.

■Storage status. This category includes reporting about status of various storage entities. It also includes alarms and events for notifying about configuration changes.
This type of information can help you troubleshoot storage connectivity and performance problems. It can also help you to correlate array-generated events and alarms to corresponding performance and load changes on the array.

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/inde ... 4E6EB.html

I need someone from StarWind to say yes they have developed this or no they have not developed this please!
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (39.49 KiB) Viewed 6015 times
Vladislav (Staff)
Staff

Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:02 am

Fully functional integration is currently under development and will be available very soon in official StarWind release. Right now we only have demo version available in special StarWind build.

Here is the document which may be helpfull to you: https://www.starwindsoftware.com/techni ... _Guide.pdf
Trevbot

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:13 am

Is VVOLs integration present in the 10799 release?
Ivan (staff)
Staff

Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:32 pm

Hello Trevbot,
Thank you for interesting in StarWind solution.
Yes, VVOLS supported and integrated into the latest build. (Check the StarWind Cluster Server in Installation Wizard)
The VVOLs guide will be available soon on our web-site. I will update thread and community when the document will be available.
Thanks,
Ivan